Creating General Journal entries
Step 2: Enter the debits and credits for the transaction
Step 1 > 2 > 3
If you havenít already read the General Journal Entries Overview, see Creating General Journal entries and Recording depreciation for more information.
- In the scrolling list, enter an account that is affected by the transaction in the Acct # column.
- Enter the amount you want to debit or credit in the correct column.
- If you want to assign this line item or any line item of the transaction to a specific job, enter the job number in the Job column.
- Enter additional accounts and amounts until the debit and credit totals displayed beneath the scrolling list are equal and the Out of Balance field is blank.
To assign a line item on a General Journal entry to more than one job
If you havenít already read the General Journal Entries Overview, see Assigning line items to jobs for more information.
The General Journal Entry window should be displayed.
- In the first line item of the transaction, enter the account that is affected by the transaction in the Acct # column.
- Enter the portion of the transaction you want to assign to a particular job in the debit or credit column. Enter the job number that you want to assign to this amount.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have allocated the total amount of the transaction to the account and to each job.
- Donít forget to balance the transaction with the appropriate entries before you record the transaction; the Out of Balance field should be blank.
Creating General Journal entries - Step 2